November 3, 2020 General Election
Dates and deadlines
- Wednesday, August 26: Last candidate filing
deadline (for ag extension). Ballots will be programmed, printed, and tested
after this date.
- Monday, September 7: Labor Day, office closed.
- Saturday, September 19: 45 days before election,
deadline for Auditor's Office to begin mailing overseas ballots.
- Monday, October 12: Johnson County does not observe
federal Columbus Day holiday and office will be open.
- Saturday, October 24: Auditor's office open 8 AM to 5 PM
CDT as required by
- Saturday, October 31: Auditor's office open 8 hours as
required by law.
- Monday, November 2: Postmark deadline for mailed
- Tuesday, November 3: Election Day.
- Monday, November 9: noon deadline for ballots to
arrive at Auditor's Office.
Offices to appear on ballot
- President and Vice President
- US Senate
- US Representative, 2nd District
- State Representatives: Districts 73, 74, 77, 85, 86
- Johnson County's three state senators were
elected to four year terms in 2018 and are not on the ballot in 2020.
- County Supervisors: three seats
- County Sheriff
- County Auditor
- Ag extension: four seats
- Soil and water commission: three seats
- Township officials: two trustees in all rural
- Some townships may elect a third trustee or a
clerk to fill a vacancy.
- Judicial retention (yes or no for judges to remain
- Iowa constitutional convention question